Brief description: 2016-2017 Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) scholarship applications for female students from Developing Countries who are currently studying in the United States or Canada
Accepted Subject Areas: Any field of study
The MMMF provides grants to women from developing countries to help further their education and strengthen their leadership skills to improve the lives of women and children in developing countries. The MMMF is offering scholarships for women from developing countries who are currently studying in the United States or Canada. The MMMF awards grants are approximately $12,000 each. The MMMF also typically invites the recipients to Washington DC to participate in a three day Awards Program organized in their honor.
Scholarship Offered Since: 1981
Who is qualified to apply?
A woman is eligible to apply for an MMMF grant if she meets all the following criteria:
- has a record of service to women and children and a commitment to improve the lives of women and children in developing countries
- resides in the U.S. or Canada at the time she submits the application
- Be enrolled in an accredited educational institution in the US or Canada for the full academic year in which the application is submitted and intend to be enrolled for the subsequent year covered by the grant.
- will use the grant toward the completion of her degree
- is a national of a lower or middle income developing member country, as designated by the MMMF Country Eligibility List
- is not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, permanent U.S. resident or Canadian Landed Immigrant
- intends to return to her country (or other developing country) within two years of completing use of the MMMF grant and perform at least two years of service
- demonstrates financial need and satisfactory academic performance
- Be at least 25 years of age by the relevant application deadline
- is not related to a World Bank Group staff member or his/her spouse
Number of Scholarships: Not Specified
Scholarship benefits: Approximately $12,000 per scholarship recipient
Duration: The grant is a onetime award to last for the duration of study
Eligible African Countries
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt , Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Afghanistan, Ecuador , Macedonia, FYR of , Albania, Arab Rep., Serbia, El Salvador, Seychelles, Malaysia, Antigua and Barbuda, Eritrea, Maldives, Solomon Islands, Argentina, Armenia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Azerbaijan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh , St. Kitts and Nevis, Belarus, Georgia, Mexico, St. Lucia, Belize, Micronesia, Fed. Sts , St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Grenada, Bhutan, Guatemala, Moldova, Suriname, Bolivia, Mongolia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Syrian Arab Rep., Guyana, Tajikistan, Brazil, Haiti, Bulgaria, Honduras, Myanmar, Thailand, India, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Nepal, Cambodia, Iran, Islamic Rep. of, Nicaragua,Tonga, Iraq, Trinidad and Tobago, Cape Verde, Jamaica, Jordan, Pakistan, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Palau, Turkmenistan, Chile, China, Kiribatii, Panama, Colombia, Korea, Republic of, Papua New Guinea, Ukraine, Comoros, Kosovo, Paraguay, Uruguay, Kyrgyz Rep, Peru, Uzbekistan, Lao PDR, Philippines, Vanuatu, Costa Rica, Latvia, Poland, Venezuela, RB, Lebanon, Romania, Vietnam, Croatia, Russian Federation, West Bank & Gaza, Yemen, Rep, Dominica, Samoa, Dominican Republic, São Tomé and Principe
To be taken at (country): United States (US) & Canada
Application Deadline: The grant Application runs from: 15 September 2015 to 16 January 2016
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply
Visit Scholarship webpage for details
Sponsors: Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF)
Important Notes: Please make sure to submit ALL documents as listed. Only complete applications will be accepted.