DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship in Germany
With its development-oriented postgraduate study programmes, the DAAD promotes the training of specialists from development and newly industrialised countries. Well-trained local experts, who are networked with international partners, play an important part in the sustainable development of their
They are the best guarantee for a better future with less poverty, more education and health for all. The scholarships offer foreign graduates from development and newly industrialised countries from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognised German university. And in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Who can apply?
- Graduates with at least two years’ professional experience
What is supported?
- Individual scholarships exclusively for Postgraduate courses in Germany that are listed on the “List of all Postgraduate courses with application deadlines”.
Duration of funding
- 12 to 36 months (dependent on study programme)
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 750 euros for graduates or 1,000 euros for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Candidates fulfil the necessary academic requirements and can be expected to successfully complete a study programme in Germany (above-average result for first academic exam – top performance third, language skills)
- Candidates have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- The Candidates have at least two years’ professional experience
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship
- The last academic degree (usually a Bachelor’s degree) should not be older than six years
- At least two years’ relevant professional experience
- Depending on chosen study programme; please check scholarship brochure or the website of your chosen study programme.
Required documents (in the following order):
- DAAD application form
- hand-signed CV (please use the europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/)
- hand-signed letter of motivation (with reference to current occupation)
- research exposé (if required by university)
- academic letter/s of recommendation from your university should include a signature and office stamp and have recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
- professional letter/s of recommendation from your employer; the letter should include a signature and office stamp and have recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
- confirmation of employment from the employer in your home country and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon your return home
- Proof of language abilities
- – English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: Institutional TOEFL is not accepted)
- – German – necessary for the courses taught in German; for the courses taught in English, if available
- – copies of awarded academic degrees
- – copies of academic transcripts
- – copy of School Leaving CertificateNote: Some courses may require additional documents. For detailed information, please see the relevant course description on the following pages. Submit all documents as identical duplicates.
Exception: Cameroon through the German embassy (application deadline at the embassy: 31st July every year)Application address
Apply directly to the chosen study programme