Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
For consideration for a Vanier CGS, you must:
• be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
• be pursuing your first doctoral degree. (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD. If it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral. (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution. Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018
• have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution. In each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates should contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
• must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC. To undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
We consider Candidates a Canadian Institution nominates with a quota at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are to be in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.