HHMI Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study in USA 2018
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is inviting applications for Gilliam research fellowships, and only applicants that have complied with the listed eligibility criteria will be considered for this program, hurry and apply!!
The goal of the HHMI Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study program is to ensure the development of a diverse and highly trained workforce is available to assume leadership roles in science, including college and university faculty, who have the responsibility to teach the next generation of scientists.
Field(s): life sciences or related sciences, including mathematics and physical sciences.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Funded By: Howard Hughes Medical Institute
for Advanced Study is up to three years. Continuation of support is contingent on annual notification to HHMI that the fellow is making satisfactory progress toward the PhD. Fellows must engage in their PhD studies full time for 12 months of each fellowship year, and the fellowship years must be consecutive. Those who attend institutions with no formal summer session must make institutionally approved arrangements for directed study or research during that period.
Eligibility‣ HHMI Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study are open to PhD students who are (i) from racial, ethnic, and other underrepresented groups in the sciences, including those from disadvantaged backgrounds, and (ii) committed to the advancement of diversity and inclusion in the sciences.
Application for the Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study is by invitation only.
HHMI’s Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study are open to eligible pairs comprising thesis advisors and PhD students (“advisor-student pairs”).
- Advisor-student pairs from eligible disciplines must be nominated by the HHMI-designated institutional representative; and
- PhD students must be NIGMS training grant eligible, be from racial, ethnic, and other underrepresented groups in the sciences, or Alumni of the HHMI EXROP and be at the appropriate program stage of their PhD training.
The Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study will support students for up to three years of their dissertation research, typically in years 3-5 of their PhD studies. Nominations must therefore be made for students in their second or third year of a PhD program that have advanced to candidacy by September 1, 2018.
The advisor-student pairs must be studying scientific problems in biomedical and life science disciplines including plant biology, evolutionary biology, biophysics, chemical biology, biomedical engineering, and computational biology.
Students enrolled in an MD/PhD program (i.e., Medical Scientist Training Program) are not eligible.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ All applicants must be nominated. EXROP alumni will arrange for a nomination letter from the student’s graduate program.
‣ Each principal investigator (PI) of a NIGMS T32 predoctoral training grant may nominate one student (in addition to any EXROP alumni) who is part of the program awarded the training grant; the nominee will be training grant eligible but need not be supported by the training grant.
‣ The PI of the NIGMS T32 grant will submit the nomination letter. Application for the fellowship by a former EXROP studentwho is part of a graduate program supported by a T32 training grant does not affect the ability of the each graduate training grant to nominate another student.
‣ All nomination letters must be submitted to HHMI via the HHMI online Competition System.
‣ Scholarship Applications Dates:
February 1, 2018 –Application Deadline
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Deadline: November 3, 2017( Nomination deadline)