JSPS Bridge Research Fellowship Program for International Students in Japan, 2018
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science has established the new Bridge Fellowship Program in all fields of the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
The Bridge Fellowship Program provides former JSPS fellows with an opportunity to revisit their past host institutions in Japan, or to go to Japan to plan or implement joint research projects and seminars, to offer training or lectures for young researchers, or to prepare or attend scientific conferences and research meetings.
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science was established with an imperial endowment in 1932. The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), or Gakushin for short, is an independent administrative institution, established by way of a national law for the purpose of contributing to the advancement of science in all fields of the natural and social sciences and the humanities. JSPS plays a pivotal role in the administration of a wide spectrum of Japan’s scientific and academic programs.
Application Deadline: March 14, 2018
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: All fields of the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences are included under this program.
Scholarship Award: The terms of award indicated below are subject to change.
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- Daily maintenance allowance of ¥15,000
- Overseas travel insurance coverage
* A research support allowance is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses. The application is made by the host researcher through his/her institution. This allowance may be applied for in an amount of up to ¥150,000.
Nationality: All nationalities
Number of Scholarships: Total of around 40 for FY 2018.
JSPS allocates quotas to alumni associations via the JSPS office in their country or region. For countries without a JSPS office, the allocations are made to a JSPS-designated official in a Japanese Embassy.
* The number of quotas allocated to alumni associations may be changed based on the degree of collaborative relations with Japanese researchers/institutions created, sustained and/or strengthened.
Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible, a researcher must meet both of the following requirements.
- Be a researcher who has experienced research in Japan under a JSPS program and who is currently a regular member of an officially recognized JSPS alumni association
- Agreement by host researcher to all seven items of support in FormB (Agreement by Host Researcher)
*Upon receiving a recommendation from an alumni association/JSPS office, JSPS contacts the proposed host researcher in Japan. When doing so, there have been cases when proposed hosts said that they could not provide the support stipulated in Form2 or could not host the fellow. Therefore, researchers should communicate fully with their proposed Japanese hosts before applying.
* Researchers who have already been supported under this program in either FY2013, FY2014, FY2015, FY2016, or FY2017 are ineligible for this award.
* Each alumni association has its own screening criteria (Provision C). Please check the screening criteria (Provision C) of your alumni association before applying.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The alumni association/JSPS office screen the submitted applications and send candidate recommendations along with the required documents (sub-paragraphs 1) and 2) below) via the Internet to the address provided by JSPS by the deadlines stipulated in the application guideline.
All paper used in applications should be A4 size. The format prescribed by JSPS should be used for recommendations. The size or format of the forms should NOT be altered by applicants.
- Application documents prepared by applicants (and submitted to the alumni association/JSPS office)
- a) Application for JSPS BRIDGE Fellowship (Form A) PDF
- b) Agreement by Host Researcher (Form B) PDF
* Applicants should provide the alumni association/JSPS office with any other documents they wish to be submitted.
- Recommendation documents prepared by applicant’s alumni association in coordination with the JSPS office
- a) List of Recommended from BRIDGE Nominating Committee
- b) Letters of Recommendation from BRIDGE Nominating Committee
- c) Provisions a), b), c) ,d)