Uganda Press East African Photography Award
Deadline: August 1, 2018
Applications are open for the Uganda Press East African Photography Award 2018. The award’s aim is to promote the best of today’s photojournalism in East Africa, supporting visual literacy as well as encouraging a new generation of photographers by focusing on photographic education through their programmes. It also seeks to remind the viewing public of the importance of a vibrant press for democratic development.
The Uganda Press Photo Award (UPPA) was conceived with support from the Foreign Correspondents’ Association of Uganda and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in 2012 as a competition for Ugandan photojournalists and photographers who work hard and sometimes take great risks so the rest of us can stay informed about what is happening.
- Winners will get a Canon EOS BOD Kit
- Open to all photographers from 18 years of age who are citizens of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Ethiopia;
- The Ugandan Press Photo Award will accept published and unpublished photographs;
- All entries must have been taken between August 1, 2016 and August 1, 2018, and must be submitted by August 1. This will be confirmed via EXIF data.
- Each entrant can submit up to 2 stories. For each story a minimum of 10, and a maximum of 20 photographs should be submitted;
- Entry is free;
- Members of UPPA & Foreign Correspondents’ Association of Uganda, the judging panel and any family members cannot enter the contest.
- Only photographs in digital form will be accepted. There should be no watermarks, identifying marks or names of authors written on the photographs.
- Each photograph has to be saved as highest quality jpg, at 300 dpi, minimum 3000 pixels on the longer side.
- Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization will not be accepted. Only minimal adjustments are allowed. The organizers reserve the right to ask for unedited images.
- All photographs should include a caption (short description of who, what, where, when, why. Not more than 50 words per photograph. Include when and where the photograph was first published.) in the EXIF data/metadata.
For more information, visit Uganda Press East African Photography Award.