Leiden University Excellence (LExS) Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters)
Provider: Leiden University
Country to Study in: Netherlands
The Leiden University ExcellenceScholarship programme (LExS) is offered for excellent Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme.
Also, it is for excellent students from allnationalities enrolling in a Master of Law Advanced Programme or MSc inInternational Relations and Diplomacy.
The scholarship is for:
- Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting September 2015 or February 2016 (All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden – see below).
- All nationalities enrolling in the programmes listed below starting September 2015 or February 2016.
- In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enroll. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad
- The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”; more information)
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree
- Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
The Faculty selection committee will review the applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit.
Citizens of ALL countries (both non-EU/EEA and other nations)
Leiden University, The Netherlands
Fields of study
The courses offered under this program include:
- For Non EU/EEA students: All masters (MA, MSc and LL.M) programmes offered by Leiden University (a number of programmes have a start date in September only); and
- For All nationalities enrolling in September 2015 or February 2016 (programs listed below have a September start date only, with the exception of Adv. Studies in Air & Space Law):
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air & Space Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European & International Business Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Civil & Commercial Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Law & Digital Technologies
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European & International Human Rights Law
- MSc in International Relations & Diplomacy
Number of Awards
The number and type of award of the scholarship (see below for the types offered)depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students’ academic level of excellence.
Scholarship will last for the whole duration of the masters programme.
The maximum study period is 12 months for the 1-year masters programmes or 24 months for the 2-year masters programmes.
The LExS Scholarship programme has these types of awards:
- Platinum- Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee* and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs
- Gold- Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee*
- Silver- Covers 75% of the tuition fee
- Bronze- Covers 50% of the tuition fee
- Ivory- Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
* The tuition fee will be reduced to the amount of the home fee. Students who have been awarded a Platinum or Gold award still have to pay the home fee themselves.
Method of Application
The student is responsible for submitting a complete application on or before the deadline dates below. Leiden University cannot be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.
To apply for the scholarship, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on thescholarship page in your online application for the master’s programmes for which you are applying.
It is possible to submit applications for more scholarship programmes simultaneously. However, it is not possible to obtain more than 1 scholarship from Leiden University for the same study programme.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply to the LExS Scholarship Programme.
The following deadlines apply: 1 February 2015 for all programmes (except Law programmes) starting in September 2015; 1 March 2015 for all Law programmes starting in September 2015; AND 1 October 2015 for all programmes starting in February 2016.
Students should be aware that the LExS is not a full scholarship. It is necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance their study and stay completely.
Leiden University advises a budget, not including the tuition fee, of approx. €12,000 to €15,000 per year to cover the costs for rent, insurance, living expenses, course books and local transportation.
All LExS applicants will be informed by the scholarship department of Student Educational Affairs: End of April 2015 for September 2015 intake; Mid May 2015 for the September 2015 intake for all Law programmes AND Mid November 2015 for the February 2016 intake.
Application Deadline: 1 October 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes