Scholarship Name: Beit Trust Scholarship
Brief description: Every year Beit Trust postgraduate Masters & PhD scholarship for students from Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe to study in UK, Ireland or South Africa
Accepted Subject Areas? All
The Beit Trust offers annually a number of Postgraduate Masters or PhD Scholarships abroad for studies or research to graduates who are domiciled in Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe (the beneficial area). Scholarships are taken up at a university in the United Kingdom, Ireland or South Africa, for study in a subject of the individual’s choice appropriate to the needs of the beneficial area.
In addition, shared awards for a taught Masters Degree are offered at the University of Cambridge (BC); University of Cape Town (BCT); Imperial College London (BI), the University of Leeds (BL); Rhodes University (BRU); Stellenbosch University (BS) and the University of Witwatersrand (BW).
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
Scholarship Type: Full Scholarship
Who is qualified to apply?
- All applicants except medical and veterinary doctors must be under 30 years of age on 31 December of the year of application.
- Some experience of work after completion of a first degree is desirable.
- Doctors and vets must be under 35 years of age on 31 December and should have completed 18 months of internship and preferably a one-year rural posting in the relevant country.
- hold at least a degree of class 2.1, i.e. Merit or Distinction
Number of Scholarship: Not Specified
- Fees and costs of tuition and related academic expenses are paid by the Trust direct to the universities.
- Scholars receive a personal allowance, index linked in accordance with guidance from an independent authority covering maintenance support.
- Other allowances are paid for arrival, a laptop and printing of a thesis, and return to Africa.
- Economy Class air passages are met by the Trust for the initial journey to the place of study, and for the return at the end of the course.
- No allowances are paid for spouses or other family members.
How long will sponsorship last? Duration is normally for a maximum of three years at the discretion of Trustees.
Eligible African Countries: Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe
To be taken at (country): United Kingdom (Rhodes University, University of Leeds and University of Reading), Ireland or South Africa
Applications may be made from 1 April, but all original and certified documents must be received by The Beit Trust by 31 August each year.
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply
For more details visit the Scholarship Webpage
Sponsors: Beit Trust
Important Notes: Only those applicants who state that they intend to return to work in the relevant country upon completion of the scholarship, and who can, if short-listed, present themselves for interview before a Beit Postgraduate Scholarship Selection Board in Harare, Blantyre or Lusaka at the beginning of December, will be considered.