Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies is inviting applications for TGCL Scholarship starting on 1 October 2016. Scholarships are awarded for pursuing postgraduate study programme (LLM or PhD). The LLM scholarship is for a period of one year, and the PhD scholarship a period of three years. The deadline for applications is 15 January 2016.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are available in the area of Law.
Course Level: Scholarships are awarded for pursuing postgraduate study programme (LLM or PhD) at the Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL).
Scholarship Provider: Funded by the German Foreign Office through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Scholarship can be taken at: Germany and Tanzania
Eligibility: The requirements for admission to the LLM and PhD programmes are those applicable at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law, i.e. for the LLM programme a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognised institution of higher legal education, and for the PhD programme an excellent LLM degree from a recognised institution. The language of instruction at the TGCL is English. Those who are not conversant with it should not apply.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Candidates in the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) can apply for TGCL Scholarship.
Scholarship Description: Applications are invited, especially from candidates in the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda), for entry into a postgraduate study programme in law (LLM or PhD) offered by the Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL). The call for applications for the study programme starting in the following year is usually published in September.
Number of award(s): A limited number of scholarships will be awarded.
Duration of award(s): The LLM scholarship covers a period of one year, and the PhD scholarship a period of three years.
What does it cover? A scholarship will cover the University fee and a health insurance. An annual amount of 2,400 EUR for Tanzanians and of 3,000 EUR for Non-Tanzanians will be paid to cover the cost of living. An additional lump sum of 30 EUR per month will be paid if you are not residing on campus. A once-off lump sum of 460 EUR for LLM and 920 EUR for PhD will be paid for the cost of research.
Selection Criteria: Not Known
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: Please send your application for admission both as hard copy and as electronic copy. Your application must contain the following documents:
– a completed University of Dar es Salaam application form
– a signed curriculum vitae with clear evidence of periods of legal and other relevant education, training and practical experience; please use the Europass CV template
– one page letter of motivation
– certified photocopies of all relevant certificates (birth certificate, school leaving certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education, including provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not in English an official translation should be attached
– three letters of recommendation (signed and sealed)
– three passport-size photographs
– a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is 15 January 2016.