Etisalat Prize for Literature
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is a Pan African prize that celebrates debut African writers of published fiction. The recently concluded Etisalat Prize for Literature award ceremony was held on 20 May 2017 in Lagos, where Jowhor Ile emerged the winner for his debut novel, And After Many Days.
Jowhor is the first Nigerian to win the Prize, which was launched in 2013. Past winners include the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Fiston Mwanza Mujila (2015), South Africa’s Songeziwe Mahlangu (2014) and Zimbabwe’s NoViolet Bulawayo (2013).
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is the first pan-African literary prize that celebrates African writers of a debut published book of fiction.
The winner receives £15,000, an engraved Montblanc Meisterstück pen. And an Etisalat-sponsored fellowship at the University of East Anglia.
The winner and the two runners-up also participate in a multi-city book tour sponsored by Etisalat. Etisalat purchases 1,000 copies of each of the shortlisted titles for distribution to schools, libraries and book clubs across the African continent.
The winner of the Flash Fiction Award receives £1,000 and a high-end device. While the two runners-up for the Flash Fiction Award receive £500 each in addition to high-end devices.
Criteria for Entry
- Submissions will only be from publishing houses
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
- All books entered should have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- New writers should publish entries within the last 24 months before submission
- Entries for fiction books are by publishers who have published a minimum of three (3) authors.
- Publisher should be a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of three years
- Each publisher are to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Accompany Each entry with Seven (7) copies of the book along with acceptance of publicity terms.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Fill and Download (Print) an Application form, accompany the application form with seven (7) copies of the published book to the address below:
6th Floor, Building 2,
Oriental Office Building 3,
Lekki Road – Victoria Island,