2018 IFS Individual Research Grants for Citizens of Developing Countries
Applications are currently been accepted for the 2018 IFS Individual Research Grants for Citizens of Developing Countries, eligible persons are welcome to apply but are also to comply with the eligibility criteria as listed
One of the principal recommendations of the Pugwash Conference in Venice1 in 1965 was to establish the International Foundation for Science ‘in order to address the stultifying conditions under which younger faculty members in the universities of developing countries were attempting to do research’. IFS was founded as a Research Council and registered as a non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Sweden in 1972.
Field(s): Proposals are sought under one of three research areas: -Biological Resources in Terrestrial Systems: Including but not limited to: Biodiversity, Forestry, Natural Products, Renewable Energy and Climate Change. -Water and Aquatic Resources: Including but not limited to: Water Resources Research; Research on all aspects of freshwater, brackish and marine aquatic organisms and their environments. -Food Security, Dietary Diversity and Healthy Livelihoods: Including but not limited to: Research on Food Production; Animal Production and Veterinary Medicine; Crop Science including Underutilised Crops; Food Science and Nutrition, and Food Security issues.
Scholarship covers: Individual Research grants are awarded on merit in amounts up to USD 12,000 for one to three years. Grants are intended for the purchase of basic tools for research: equipment, expendable supplies and literature, as well as field activities.
School(Institutions/ Country): | IFS eligible country
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): IFS Individual Research Grants are targeted for Citizens of following developing countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Cameroon and Republic of Congo, Central African Rep, Chad, Comoros,Congo Dem. Rep, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, The, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, DPR, Lao PDR, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Fed.Sts., Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Philippines, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Rep., Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Uganda, Vanuatu, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for these grants.
To be considered for IFS Individual Research Grants, applicants
- must be citizens of eligible countries and carry out their research in an eligible country (this does not have to be the country of citizenship)
- must have a minimum of an MSc, MA or equivalent academic degree
- must be (for men) younger than 35 years of age, and (for women) 40 years of age[If the applicant’s 35th (men)/40th (women) birthday is on or after the closing date of the call, he/she is still eligible.]
- Researchers, who are already IFS grantees, are eligible to apply for a renewal grant irrespective of age.
- Selection criteria for 2016 IFS Individual Research Grants
- Research grants are awarded on the basis of merit.
Applicants will be informed about the outcome of the competitive review process before the 31st July 2018.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications may be sent by email.
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Dat: Call will open: 1 November 2017 till 31st December 2017
Anticipated announcement of results: 31 July 2018.
Full details and instructions on the submission procedure will be made available here when the call opens.
The following information is available now:
Anticipated announcement of results: July 31, 2018.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.