Applications are currently being accepted for the 2018 Union for International Cancer Control African Cancer Fellowships , eligible applicants are welcome to apply for this program
UICC, supported by the American Cancer Society, has launched a new programme of fellowships for cancer professionals in Africa, linked to the 2018 World Cancer Congress. The goal of this initiative is to enable health care workers to improve cancer outcomes in Africa.
The programme aims to enhance educational opportunities for health care workers in Africa, thereby expanding workforce capability and improving care for cancer patients. Hands-on fellowship opportunities are combined with peer-to-peer exchange and information sharing that will allow individuals to learn important skills relevant to cancer care and to disseminate them throughout their region.
To achieve these goals UICC is offering 20 fellowships to visit an organisation in another country with a strong emphasis on learning skills that will be shared with peers in their home organisation or network.
Additional benefits include:
- A dedicated workshop at the 2018 World Cancer Congress for fellows to share their fellowship and knowledge sharing experiences with other awardees.
- An online common interest network where awardees can exchange acquired knowledge and share lessons learnt.
The programme is open to individuals working in any area across the cancer continuum who wish to develop their knowledge and innovate in a particular topic
- Medical professionals must hold relevant qualification e.g. MD, MBBS, Registered Nurse, Diploma of midwifery.
- Non-medical applicants, such as those working in cancer societies or non-governmental organisations (NGOs), should hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Candidates should have documented experience of working on cancer or with cancer patients
- Medical and PhD students are not eligible to apply
Depending on the projects, pairs of applicants from the same institution are also welcome to apply to visit the same host institution where this will contribute to successful implementation on return home.
Opportunity for at least 10 awardees to participate in a knowledge sharing workshop at the World Cancer Congress in Kuala Lumpur in October 2018
- The awards are based on candidates’ estimates for travel and living costs, published fares and UICC scales but are only a contribution towards least expensive regional/international travel and living costs.
- They are not intended to completely cover all travel or normal salary or income levels. They are for the initial travel from home to host countries but do not include internal travel within the home and/or host countries. Costs for visa, passports, airport taxes etc. are the responsibility of the Fellows.
- The awards do not cover medical care, insurances or taxes; none of which UICC or the Sponsors are liable for. They also do not provide support for accompanying dependents. Stipends are limited to 1 month. Applicants from the same home organisation submitting a joint application are eligible to receive 2 separate award amounts
|Call for proposals deadline||30 November 2017||Project and visit proposals should demonstrate strong plans for knowledge dissemination and show evidence that stakeholder engagement has already taken place|
|Notification of awards||February 2018||20 awardees to be selected|
|World Cancer Congress abstract submission||End March 2018||Successful applicants are expected to submit an abstract to the Congress|
|Expected fellowship visit period||One month duration between March to June 2018||Average value: 3,000 USD including a living stipend plus a travel contribution towards the least expensive international travel costs. Ideally visits to the host institution should take place before the end of June but must take place before the World Cancer Congress|
|Expected initial dissemination period||From April 2018||10 fellows will be awarded travel grants based on their fellowship visit report and congress abstract|
|World Cancer Congress||1 – 4 October 2018||Dedicated knowledge sharing workshop at the congress in Kuala Lumpur|
|Common Interest Network||From October 2018||Virtual peer to peer support network will provide resources, advice and inspiration to awardees|
Application Deadline: November 30th 2017
For More Information: