2018-2019 DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship in Germany
Applications are currently now being accepted for the DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship in Germany 2018, eligible persons are welcome to apply for this program
Level: Undergraduate Study
Field(s): all subjects
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Scholarship covers: Recipients will be awarded a monthly stipend of approximately € 650, plus additional funds to help defray travel and research expenses as well as health insurance.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship is targeted for US and Canadian students and international students in Canada and USA may apply for this scholarship program.
Each year, an independent selection committee of academics and international education experts is assembled to select the DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship grantees.
‣ This committee is looking for students who:
- are currently second and third year students and will be in their third and fourth year during their stay in Germany;
- are seeking DAAD support for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year;
- possess outstanding academic records and personal integrity, as evinced by both their grades and letters of recommendation
- have well-defined study, research or internship plans for their stay in Germany
- submit the DAAD language evaluation form with their application, although German language competency is not mandatory
- demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and who explain the significance of their project in Germany to their future studies, research or professional goals
- are enrolled, full-time students in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited North American college or university
- will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their bachelor’s degree
Scholarship Application Method
The application is submitted online through the DAAD portal which opens on December 1, 2017.
You are also required to mail 3 copies of the “Application summary” (PDF file), which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application procedure has been completed, to the application address.
Please visit our Scholarship Database for detailed instructions about application requirements and procedure.
The application is submitted online through the DAAD Portal.
- Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form for funding program „Undergraduate Scholarship, 2018″ – to be downloaded from the DAAD Portal after registering
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany (letter of motivation; 1-3 pages; see FAQs for tips)
- Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility, to download click on link in the box to the right.
- Proof of acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university. This can be submitted after the rest of the application, but prior to starting the program. In this case, please include in your application a letter from your study abroad office or the program you are applying to, which confirms that you are indeed applying for the respective program.
- College Transcripts (can be scanned and uploaded in non-certified form.)
- Language Evaluation Form (Sprachzeugnis), to download click on link in the box to the right. If you have any knowledge of German, submit this document signed by a faculty member of the German Department at your institution. If you have no knowledge of German and your study language in Germany is English, be sure to submit this certificate anyway, indicating that your study language is English, and write at the top “No knowledge of German.” (Please note that German is not a requirement for the Undergraduate Scholarship).
- To be submitted by mail:
- Two reference forms:The reference forms have to be generated and downloaded in the DAAD portal in the section “Request reference”.You must submit two reference forms completed by two separate faculty members in your major at your home university.Please send the forms by e-mail to your referees and ask for three copies of the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope (i.e. signed original + 2 copies of signed original). Your professors can also send the forms directly to the application address below.Your referees must also send a scan of the signed form/letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that a standard letter of recommendation instead of the above mentioned reference form will only be accepted in extraordinary circumstances. In that case, the instructions above apply as well.
Your paperwork should be in English (even if you are Francophone Canadian), not in German or French.
For Francophone Canadians: You can hand-in transcripts in French. All other documents must be in English.
Please do not call our office; you will receive an e-mail or letter of acknowledgment approximately four weeks after the deadline.
Applicants usually will receive notification of acceptance in May.
It is NOT necessary to send your application documents via mail. Please send the signed reference forms only (postmarked January 31, 2018) to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Please click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on January 31, 2018. The application portal opens on December 1, 2017.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.