International PhD Scholarship in Political Science, 2018
Applications are now being welcomed for the University of Gothenburg Political Science PhD Scholarship study in Sweden 2018. The Department of Political science is currently looking for qualified and motivated individuals for up to three doctoral studentship positions (PhD student) in Political Science.
The aim of the doctoral (PhD) studentships is for the doctoral (PhD) student to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to be able to conduct research autonomously within Political Science and to contribute to the development of knowledge within the discipline through the production of a scholarly thesis.The University of Gothenburg is a university in Sweden’s second largest city, Gothenburg.
The University is the third-oldest of the current Swedish universities and with 37,000 students and 6000 staff members, it is one of the largest universities in the Nordic countries.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International applicants are eligible to apply for the studentship.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a degree at the advanced level (MA level, or equivalent).
- English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in English.
- Application Deadline: February 6, 2018
- Course Level: Studentships are available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Studentships are awarded in the field of Political Science
- Scholarship Award: The position is limited to 4 years in duration and is carried out on a full-time basis unless there are special reasons to the contrary (although never less than 50%). The position may include departmental duties, such as teaching, corresponding to up to 20% of a full-time post over the course of study. If such tasks are carried out, the duration of the appointment will be extended accordingly.
- Nationality: International applicants are eligible to apply for the studentship.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to three doctoral studentship positions are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Sweden
- Applicants can apply via online mode.
How to Apply:
- Please register your application electronically under ‘online application’. In order for the application to be considered complete it must include:
- An introductory letter of 1.000 words maximum (approx. 2 pages), preferably shorter. The letter should consist of four paragraphs in the following order: a) a short presentation of yourself. b) a short presentation of your merits, c) a short presentation of the intended research project and d) a short account for why the Department of Political Science and/or the doctoral studies programme is of interest to you.
- CV including a list of publications (if applicable).
- One writing sample. Normally, this would be a master’s thesis, but it could also be a revised version of the thesis, or another paper, article or book chapter, or equivalent work. The texts must be submitted in Swedish or English. Any translated versions must be accompanied by the original text and translated in their entirety.
- A description of the intended research project indicating the applicant’s research interests and planned focus area of his/her thesis and research. The project description must demonstrate familiarity with previous and current research as well as an ability to formulate scientific problems. 2.500 words maximum (approx. 6 pages) including abstract, excluding bibliography. Further directions for the description can be found here.
- Verified copies of academic transcripts and evidence of other relevant qualifications, if applicable.
- Two letters of recommendation (N.B. the letters of recommendation must be both signed and sent directly to the Department by the letter writers). Instructions regarding the form and content of the recommendation letters can be found here.
- It is for the applicant to make sure that the application is complete. No changes/additions are allowed after the last date of application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All electronic documents must be submitted in PDF format.