13 MSCA-ETN-POEM PhD Positions in the EU Horizon for International Students, 2018
The European Training Network “Participatory Memory Practices Concepts, strategies, and media infrastructures for envisioning socially inclusive potential futures of European Societies through culture” (POEM) is inviting applications for 13 PhD positions in the EU Horizon 2020 Marie-Sklodowska-Curie Project: MSCA-ETN-POEM.
POEM is a consortium of high profile universities, acknowledged memory institutions, civil society organizations, and SMEs located in Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, and the UK.
POEM is a consortium of high profile universities, acknowledged memory institutions, civil society organizations, and SMEs located in Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, and the UK. The aim of the POEM programme is to contribute to future-envisioning heritage politics, the empowerment of groups on the margins, and their potential to participate in the civil society as well as in the labour markets.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: PhD fellowships with an international focus to be funded by the Marie-Sklodowska-Curie ITN Action as part of the H2020 Programme of the European Commission. Research Fields: Critical Heritage Studies, Critical Data Studies Cultural Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Design Anthropology, Digital Cultures, Digital Anthropology, Digital Heritage, Digital Humanities, Digital Museology, European Ethnology, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Behaviour, Information Studies, Media Anthropology, Media Studies, Memory Studies, Museology, Museum Studies, Participatory Design, Science and Technology Studies, Social Anthropology, Software Studies, Visitor Studies, Visual Anthropology, Visual Sociology.
- Scholarship Award: The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on the country correction factor (to allow for the difference in cost of living in the different EU Member States). The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if married). The guaranteed PhD funding is for a 3-year full-time contract (i.e. EC funding, additional funding is possible, depending on local supervisor). In addition to their individual scientific projects and the excellent institutional environment, all fellows will benefit from continuing measures for career development, which includes secondments, a variety of training modules as well as transferable skills courses, and active participation in workshops, conferences and public events.
- Nationality: International students
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 13 PhD positions are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in POEM is a consortium of high profile universities, acknowledged memory institutions, civil society organizations, and SMEs located in Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, and the UK.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Recognized master’s degree in the above-mentioned research fields or other related subjects. To be eligible for admission to the programme students must have a high-quality master’s degree or an equivalent academic degree from an internationally recognized university.
- Early-stage researchers are those who, at the time of employment by the host university, are in the first four years (or full-time equivalent) of their research careers and not in possession of a doctoral degree. Research experience is calculated from the date they obtained a degree which formally entitled them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate was envisaged.
- Conditions of international mobility of researchers: Researchers are required to undertake trans-national mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up the appointment. At the time of employment by the host university, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host university for more than 12 months in total during the last 3 years. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account. Please also answer the questions under the heading “Application” on the POEM website.
English language: Applicants must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and oral English is sufficiently advanced for them to fully benefit from the network training. Recognized English language certificates (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS) must be submitted along with the application.
How to Apply: Please send your applications to poem.gwiss-at-uni-hamburg.de.
Please state max. Two preferences i.e. indicate the two PhD topics (see further below) you have the most interest in and justify your choice.
Candidates apply electronically in English until 15 March 2018 and are requested to send their application as a PDF file (max. 5 MB) to poem.gwiss-at-uni-hamburg.de. Applicants can apply for one to maximum two positions and are requested to indicate their preference with the reference number POEM PhD. No (see below) in the email’s subject line and justify their choice in the motivation letter, also answering the questions: For how long have you been working in a field of research? In which countries have you lived since 1 October 2015? The application shall comprise all requested information including:
- A letter of motivation,
- Detailed up-to-date CV
- Relevant documents and copies of diploma such as verified Bachelor’s and Master´s transcripts of records with diploma supplement,
- Proof of sufficient English language skills (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS),
- Two nominated referees that can be contacted,
- Master thesis and sample of academic writing in English (if applicable, e.g. paper, essay, publication, etc.), and
- Project samples like exhibitions, designs, and other portfolio materials or links to external sources (if applicable).