2018 Tender Starting Doctoral Scholarships at Basel Graduate School of History in Switzerland
The Basel Graduate School of History (BGSH) is delighted to offer Tender Starting Scholarships for support during the start phase of their doctorate. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
The Basel Graduate School of History (BGSH) offers a structured graduate program in the field of history, based on the successful completion of doctorates. In the BGSH, doctoral candidates earn their doctorates in a network that is solid in terms of theory, methodology, and content, giving them the opportunity for intellectual discussion and international networking.
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2018
- Course Level: The scholarships are for support during the start phase of your doctorate.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the following areas: medieval history, early modern history, recent and recent history, eastern European history, Jewish history, global history, A high motivation to participate in the BGSH as an active member and to carry out an independent, multi-year research project is expected.
- Scholarship Award: The Basel Graduate School of History offers a structured graduate program in an intellectually stimulating environment. Doctoral students of the BGSH benefit from the close scientific exchange, joint workshops, and research colloquia, a wide-ranging international and interdisciplinary network and offers to support their research activities and to realize their own scientific events. The scholarship is endowed with CHF 30,000 and will be paid out in two tranches (with interim evaluation).
- Nationality: International students
- Number of Scholarships: Up to two scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Switzerland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
The scholarships are intended for students with a masters degree or equivalent in history and who wish to pursue doctorates in one of the following areas: medieval history, early modern history, recent and recent history, eastern European history, Jewish history, global history, A high motivation to participate in the BGSH as an active member and to carry out an independent, multi-year research project is expected.
English Language Requirements: The teaching languages of the Graduate School are English and German.
How to Apply: The application is made electronically via the following page:
In addition, the following documents by e-mail to the coordinator of the Basel Graduate School of History, Dr. med. Roberto Sala (roberto.sala-at-unibas.ch), to send:
- Cover letter
2nd Curriculum Vitae (possibly with publication list)
- Sketch for the dissertation project (maximum 3 pages)
- One or two text samples (including master’s thesis or similar)
The application can be in German, French or English. Applicants who are about to complete their studies may apply if they can submit the official diploma by 8 June 2018 at the latest. Applications from doctoral students who are already doing their doctorate at other universities will not be considered. Starting scholarship holders must enroll as doctoral students at the University of Basel.