2019 Rhodes University Hugh le May Fellowship for Young South Africans
Application Deadline: 31st August 2018
The Hugh le May Fellowship is available in alternate years to senior scholars who wish to devote themselves to advanced work in one of the following subjects: Philosophy, Classics, Ancient, Medieval or Modern History, Classical, Biblical, Medieval or Modern Languages, Political Theory, Law. Where there is no applicant of sufficient merit in any of the above disciplines, the Fellowship may be awarded to an applicant in another discipline within the Faculty of Humanities.
The Fellowship, of between three and six months duration, comprises:
- A direct return economy class airfare from the Fellow’s place of residence.
- University accommodation with electricity and water included.
- R5000.00 monthly cash stipend to supplement the Fellow’s usual source of income, or if accompanied by a partner R7500.00 per month cash stipend.
- If the Fellow accepts the appointment for at least four months and is accompanied by a partner, the partner’s return economy airfare will also be paid.
- The length of the Fellowship may be extended by mutual agreement and subject to the availability of funds.
The successful applicant will be expected to take up residence in Grahamstown for such period between 1 January and 31 December 2019.
The Fellow will be given internet access, use of the University library and sport facilities, and will be an honorary member of staff for the duration of the Fellowship. The Fellow will not be expected to undertake any teaching duties.
At the conclusion of the Fellowship, the Fellow will be required to present a report on the work undertaken. The Fellow will be required to appropriately acknowledge the Fellowship and Rhodes University in all publications emanating from the period of the Fellowship.
- The application (Hugh le May Application Form)should be submitted by 31st August 2018.
- Telephone +27 (46) 603 8936 or email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
For More Information: