The new DAAD/IPSS scholarships for PhD candidates are now available at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia. This scholarship is funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarships for Eastern Africa are designed to increase student mobility in a country/region and increase the number of knowledge sharing between universities in one country/region.
The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) at the Addis Ababa University is the premier institute for education, research, and policy dialogues on peace and security in Africa. IPSS produces skilled professionals in conflict prevention, management, resolution, peacebuilding, and promotes the values of a democratic and peaceful society.
- Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: The Institute is now accepting applications to two PhD programmes: Regular Programme in Peace and Security Studies and Joint Programme in Global and Area Studies (with a special emphasis in peace and security studies). The scholarships at Addis Ababa University are available in the following fields:
- Management, Microbial and Molecular Biology, Earth Sciences, Peace, and Security Studies.
- Scholarship Award:
|· Item||· Amount in €|
|· Tuition fees||· the regularly charged amount|
|· Study and research allowance||· 920,00 and 230,00 annually for Ph.D. and Masters respectively|
|· Printing allowance||· 1025,00 once within the last six months of the scholarship|
|· Monthly scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)||· Master In-Country: 180,00· Master In-Region: 200,00 PhD
- Nationality: Sub-Sahara African students
- Number of Scholarships: Up to four scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Ethiopia
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Nationals or permanent resident of Sub-Sahara Africa are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- Clearly, show motivation and strong commitment
- Have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of Sub-Sahara Africa
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative).
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted. All further information will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The required documents should be sent to Dr. Fana Gebresenbet (fana.g-at-ipss-addis.org) no later than 23 February 2018. Applicants must provide the following criteria to be eligible for the scholarships:
- A signed curriculum vitae
- A recommendation letter from university lecturer
- Letter of admission from AAU
- Certified copies of university degree certificates (including transcript)s
- Letter of motivation
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mention the planned research stay in Germany)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
- Special considerations are applicable to female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions.