2018 University of Agriculture PhD Scholarship at Sokoine to study in Tanzania
PhD Scholarship is now available on offer at the Sokoine University of Agriculture in Tanzania. The candidate will have an opportunity to receive part of his/her PhD training at DIIS and at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. The programme is funded through a grant provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (MFA).
Sokoine University of Agriculture’s academic business is guided by the university’s vision and missions as well as the Corporate Strategic Plan (2016-2021), the latter that spells out plans in keeping with university’s core missions and functions as well as the need to remain competitive.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: The PhD position focuses on the outcomes of three (clusters of) selected Danish agricultural investments with respect to land tenure security and/or water security and will involve considerable fieldwork in the areas of these investments. On this basis, the successful PhD candidate will contribute to the overall research objective of identifying the factors which enhance positive development outcomes of foreign agricultural investments.
- Scholarship Award: The successful candidate will receive a modest stipend throughout the valid PhD period and all costs related to field work, PhD training-related travel and tuition fees will be covered through the AIDA programme.
- Nationality: Citizens of Tanzania are eligible to apply.
- Number of Scholarships: One position is available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Tanzania (The candidate will have an opportunity to receive part of his/her PhD training at DIIS and at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark).
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Citizens of Tanzania are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: The Successful candidate is required to:
- Hold a master degree in a field that is relevant to the announced position.
- Be highly motivated to develop a scientific career.
- Possess and demonstrate good scientific writing skills.
- Have a strong methodological and conceptual background in relevant scientific disciplines.
- Be a constructive and engaged team worker.
Applicants should be aged no more than 35 years for men and 40 years for women at the time of application.
How to Apply: Potential applicants are invited to prepare 2-3 page concept note (maximum 1,500 words) which, with reference to the PhD focus, outlines the more detailed focus for the proposed PhD project as well as the research assumptions and questions.
In addition to this concept note, the application should be accompanied by a CV, including a list of publications as well as names and contact details of 2-3 academic references. Deadline for application is March 15, 2018; at 10 AM Eastern Africa Time (EAT). The application should be submitted online to Dr Mutabazi (khamaldin2011-at-gmail.com) with a copy to Dr Evelyne Lazaro (lazaroa55-at-yahoo.co.uk) and Dr Helle Munk Ravnborg (hmr-at-diis.dk).
The applications will be evaluated by an assessment committee consisting of researchers from Sokoine University of Agriculture and DIIS. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Interviews with shortlisted candidates will be conducted by the assessment committee in Morogoro between March 19 and 23, 2018, and the final selection will be undertaken soon thereafter.