Application Deadline: April 15th, 2018
The University Administration Support Program (UASP) Fellowships in Research Management, developed and implemented by IREX and supported by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, supports the development of university research management capacity through a six-week fellowship in the United States for mid- to senior-level research managers from Africa and Eurasia.
Eligibility and Selection
- Be a citizen of and reside in Armenia, Belarus, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, or Ukraine at the time of application and participation;
- Be proficient in writing, reading, and speaking English;
- Be able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa;
- Be available to participate in fellowships in the United States for approximately six weeks during fall 2018 or winter 2019;
- Be committed to producing an implementation plan or comparative case study on a topic of research management while in the United States; and
- Hold a full-time position focusing on research management at an eligible university,* with sufficient seniority to be an agent for change (capacity to introduce reforms following program participation).
The program support participants to build their universities into leading research institutions through:
- Two weeks of intensive research management and leadership training (PDF, 74 KB) in Washington, DC
- A virtual learning environment
- Peer-to-peer learning
- A four-week placement analyzing and observing research management operations at a respected public US university
- Support implementing reforms in fellows’ home institutions following the US placement
The UASP provides to fellows: roundtrip airfare, visa fees, accident and sickness insurance, housing, $50/day daily allowance (meals and incidentals), and at least $600 professional development allowance (for educational materials, conferences, and memberships in US professional associations).
2018-2019 Application Timeline
- April 15, 2018: Application Deadline
- April – May 2018: Application review, selection, and notification of awards
- September 24 – November 2, 2018: Cohort I Fellowship in the United States
- January 28 – March 8, 2019: Cohort II Fellowship in the United States
Please read all eligibility requirements and instructions embedded within this application very carefully. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Be sure to complete all sections of the application form below and upload the following support documents with your application on or before the application deadline.
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Letter of support from home institution
- Home institution organizational chart
- Submitted applications for the UASP will be reviewed against the following criteria
- Extent to which applicant is equipped with the background, authority, and institutional support to fully benefit from the program (demonstrated through applicant’s position in the university and letters of support and/or other means of clear institutional commitment)
- Quality, thoroughness, and relevance of applicant’s answers to application questions
- Dedication to creating or expanding systems to support their university’s growth as a recognized and respected research university
- Commitment to serving as resources in the field of university research management for peers and colleagues in their academic and administrative communities
- Ability to converse independently in English
For More Information: