The Center for Policy Impact at Duke University Global Health Policy Fellows Program 2018
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018 5:00PM EST
The Center for Policy Impact at Duke University is inviting applications for two visiting research fellowship positions each year at the Duke Global Health Institute (DGHI). This opportunity is designed to provide experience in the field of global health policy, with a particular focus on the finance, governance, and architecture of global health. Fellows will collaborate with an international research team global health leaders, key policy makers,and Duke University faculty both at the Duke Global Health Institute (DGHI) andthe Duke Center for International Development (DCID)
Features of the Fellows Program
- The fellows program will last up to 5 months and is non-renewable. The fellowship provides a wide range of opportunities including academic coursework, research opportunities, participation in Duke University events, and a deeper and longer policy engagement after the end of the program.The program is entirely for training and gaining experience in global health policy–fellows will not be required to perform any work for the Center.
- Participation in the Center’s analytic work:
- The global health policy research that the team conducts uses both quantitative and qualitative approaches (e.g., tracking health financing flows; modeling the impacts of health policies; and conducting key informant interviews with policy makers). The fellows will have the opportunity to collaborate and consult with the Center’s international research team and participate in the Center’s analytical activities.
- Research project and publication:
Fellows will lead a research project of their own during the tenure of the program on a topic
that builds on the existing research at the Center. Fellows will be encouraged to publish this work and will receive support to help with this process.
Fellows will have the opportunity to audit a wide variety of courses taught at DGHI, DCID, and elsewhere at Duke, subject to the discretion of the course tutors.
- Skill development: Candidates will have the opportunity to participate in Duke seminars and workshops in the areas of public policy, leadership, communication, academic writing skills, and communications.
Interaction with global health and policy leaders: Fellows will have the opportunity to interact
with global health practitioners and public policy experts at Duke, as well as with international experts from multilateral and bilateral development agencies and global health foundations. They will also be able to participate in an annual policy dialogue hosted by the Center, which will bring together about a dozen technical experts and policymakers.
- Applications are invited from candidates in low-and middle-income countries who have a background in health policy, health financing and delivery, or government financing of health services.
- Candidates must have at least a masters’ degree and a minimum of five years of relevant work experience. Mid-career researchers are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Experience in conducting health research (quantitative and/or qualitative) would be preferred.
Candidates must submit the following documents to apply to the fellowship program:
- Curriculum vitae including details of publications;
- A 500-word statement describing why you are interested in the fellows program;
- A project proposal of up to 1000 words that describes the research project that you would conduct during the program at Duke and how it would be aligned with the Center’s mission;
- Writing samples that demonstrate your previous work, your writing skills, and your ability to express original ideas (we prefer solo-authored writing samples, if these are available);
- Photocopy of your Masters and/or PhD certificate, whichever is applicable;
- Demonstrate English proficiency by providing one of the following documents as per Duke University regulations.;
- A photocopy of your passport; and
- The names of two professional references.
- The deadline for submitting complete application material is April 30, 2018 5:00PM EST
- All application materials must be in English.
- Completed application materials must be sent by email to: email@example.com
For More Information: