Application Deadline: 23rd April 2018 at midday (12h00).
priority in benefitting women and youth, people in rural areas and people with disability.
The SAB Foundation is especially keen to create opportunities for disabled entrepreneurs and innovators, who are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Social Innovation Award.
Is aimed at innovators/social entrepreneurs/ institutions/social enterprises with prototypes or early stage businesses that can solve a social problem.
The Social Innovation Disability Empowerment Award.
Is aimed at innovators/ social entrepreneurs/institutions/social enterprises whose innovations focus on providing solutions for people with disabilities
- The SAB Foundation Social Innovation Awards will be open to any innovation solution that offers a credible prospect of meeting a demonstrable social and/ or economic need evidenced by the SAB Foundation’s target low-income beneficiary groups (with a particular emphasis on innovation that benefits women, youth, people with disability and those in rural areas), as well as demonstrating potential as a sustainable business.
- Entries are welcomed from South African individuals, innovators, entrepreneurs, social enterprises and university departments. Entrants may enter as individuals on their own, or as members of a team, in which case one individual team leader shall complete the online application form.
- The innovation entered must be the original work of the applicant and a true innovation and/or a significant improvement on an existing technology, product, service, and production method or business model.
- Product innovation covers innovations in both goods and services, which can be divided into new or improved products. A new product has different characteristics and intended uses than existing products. It may use new technologies, knowledge and products or a combination of these. An improved product is an existing product whose performance is significantly increased; in terms of either increased output or a reduction in cost.
- Process innovation is the adaption or creation of improved ways to deliver a product or service. It could come from changes in knowledge, perception and understanding. For poverty reduction, process innovations can increase the level of service delivery to beneficiaries, or enable practitioners to reach previously untouched groups or individuals.
- The innovation solution must have progressed past the “blue-sky” thinking stage: there must be some evidence of investment by the applicant. This means that applicants must be able to show proof that prior to applying, they have spent time and/or money developing the innovation: planning, developing and testing prototypes, market and industry research, developing a business plan.
- Applications are open to all South African citizens of 18 years or older. All participants (“Entrants”) must submit a certified copy of their South African Identity Document with their online applications.
- Please see the “Participation Rules” on the online Application Forms Terms and Conditions for further guidelines.
Online applications open 15 March 2018 and close on 23 April 2018 at midday (12h00).
• Applications must be completed online. The link is available on the SAB Foundation website: www.sabfoundation.co.za or click here to go to the online application portal directly.
• The SAB Foundation Social Innovation and Disability Empowerment Awards seek the best ideas to enhance the lives of previously disadvantaged South Africans.
Specific consideration will be given during the judging process to the race, gender, age and disability status of applicants.
• Applications will be screened against the Eligibility Criteria, and qualifying applications will then be assessed by a panel of judges for the impact and viability of the innovation solution.
• A shortlist of up to 25 best innovations will be selected and visited by a member of the SAB Foundation team. Successful shortlisted applications will be invited to attend a 2-day workshop in September 2018 in Johannesburg (dates to be finalised and subject to change).
• At the end of the workshop the applicants will present their innovation solution and up- scaling plans to a panel of judges, resulting in the selection of the winners.
• The winners will be announced at an Awards ceremony in Johannesburg in October 2018
For More Information: