Fully Funded 2018 International PhD Scholarship in Environmental Humanities in Belgium
The Ghent University is delighted to announce fully funded PhD Scholarship in Environmental Humanities in the Department of Literary Studies at Ghent University, Belgium, tenable for a period of up to four years.
Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
In order to be eligible applicants must have Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant field, such as English, Comparative Literature, or Environmental Humanities (candidates near to completion may also submit applications, indicating the expected date of the degree).
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in the field of Environmental Humanities.
- Scholarship Award: Conditions of employment:
- The position begins 1 October 2018.
- The scholarship is initially offered for a period of two years and can be renewed for another two-year period upon positive evaluation.
- The net amount of the scholarship will be approximately €1900 per month, gradually rising to approximately €2100 per month in the fourth year. The PhD student will also receive a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus, and enjoy full social security coverage. Additional financial support is available for conference and workshop attendance.
- The PhD student will be based at Ghent University.
- The PhD student will complete the doctoral training programme offered by the Doctoral School of Arts, Humanities, and Law.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Number of Scholarships: The project, which will employ four PhD students and one postdoctoral research fellow, will explore the role of the literary imagination, with a special focus on textual complexity and the tension between the global nature of ecological problems and culturally specific issues.
- Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Candidates should have:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant field, such as English, Comparative Literature, or Environmental Humanities (candidates near to completion may also submit applications, indicating the expected date of the degree);
- An outstanding academic record;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English;
- A reading knowledge of at least one of the other three project languages;
- An aptitude for original, independent, and creative work as well as for working in a team.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent writing and speaking skills in English.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted as a single PDF file via email to stef.craps-at-ugent.be.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter, in which you specify why you are interested in this position and why you consider yourself a suitable candidate;
- An overview of how you would approach the project (max. 1000 words);
- A current CV;
- Transcripts of your qualifications to date (degrees and grade lists);
- A writing sample (Master’s thesis, article, etc.);
- Names and full contact details of two referees.