2018 Open Society Documentary Photography Project Moving Walls 25
Application Deadline: Friday, April 20, 2018, 4:59pm EDT
The Open Society Documentary Photography Project is soliciting submissions for a new joint exhibition and fellowship opportunity focused on the topic of migration. Selected projects will be featured in the next installment of our ongoing Moving Walls exhibition series, opening in September 2018 at the Open Society Foundations—New York. Selected artists will also receive a fellowship of $30,000–$60,000 to support ongoing or future work on the theme of migration.
- Open Society isseeking photographers, artists, and media makers who bring expertise and new insight to an issue; who demonstrate a high level of artistic ability or excellence; and who have the skills, passion, commitment, and capacity to realize the proposed grant project.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ongoing commitment to themes relevant to migration through their past and ongoing work. In the application, we ask for examples of two past or current projects.
- Projects considered for exhibition may be for works from a larger, ongoing project, but the Moving Walls exhibit will be curated from content that already exists (funds will not be provided to create new projects specifically for the exhibition).
- Projects considered for the fellowship may be for continuing an ongoing body of work, or creating a new body of work related to the broader themes of the exhibit.
Selected projects will be exhibited as part of the Moving Walls exhibition series. Moving Walls 25 will be on view September 2018 – July 2019 at the Open Society Foundations’ headquarters in New York.
Selected artists will also receive:
- A 12-18 month fellowship ($30,000-$60,000) for the continuation of existing work or the creation of new work on the theme of migration. The fellowship may cover any of the following phases of the project: research/project development, production, exhibition, distribution, and/or audience engagement.
- Networking opportunities to meet with each other, as well as Open Society staff and grantees.
- In collaboration with the Open Society Arts Exchange program, fellows will have the opportunity to meet other artists and arts organizations working on migration.
- Selected projects will be exhibited in the Moving Walls 25 exhibition (September 2018 – July 2019) at the Open Society Foundations’ headquarters in New York. Selected artists will also receive a fellowship ($30,000-$60,000) to support ongoing or future work on the same theme. Up to 7 artists will be selected.
For More Information: