2018 Fully Funded SIWI Journalist Grant for Media Professionals
The new SIWI Journalist Grant is currently accepting applications from five journalists from low or low-middle income nations to study in Sweden. This is the opportunity to visit World Water Week which takes place in Stockholm between 26 – 31 August 2018.
The SIWI Journalist Grant aims to build capacity in water and water-related issues among journalists active in developing countries, thereby creating the potential for raised awareness among large audiences of readers, listeners and viewers. In the long term, a raised level of water known in the journalist corps will contribute to influencing key decision- and policy makers in water and development issues.
SIWI is a water institute. We leverage knowledge and our convening power to strengthen water governance for a just, prosperous, and sustainable future. The idea that became SIWI stems from three linked events in Stockholm in 1991.
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
- Course Level: Grants are available for media professionals.
- Study Subject: These grants aim to build capacity in water and water-related issues.
- Scholarship Award: The SIWI Journalist Grant covers:
- Round-trip air ticket to Stockholm, Sweden
- Public (or equivalent) transport between airport and hotel on arrival and departure
- Full week registration fee for World Water Week
- Certain social events during World Water Week
- Hotel stay during World Water Week
- Meals on half board during World Water Week
- Per diem for meals not provided at World Water Week venue
The SIWI Journalist Grant does not cover:
- Visa, and visa-related costs
- Any insurance
- Transport in Stockholm (excluding public transport to and from Arlanda airport)
- Any extras
- Nationality: Available to the citizen of a nation listed as a low- or low-middle income country by the World Bank
- Number of Scholarships: Up to five scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Sweden
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Available to the citizen of a nation listed as a low- or low-middle income country by the World Bank
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen of a nation listed as a low- or low-middle income country by the World Bank. See which countries that is eligible for this list.
- You must be an employee of a media outlet in your country (newspaper, magazine, radio, TV, recognized digital publication) or be able to show proof of continuous freelance journalism activities during the past three years.
- You must have a documented interest in water and water-related issues.
- Since the official language of World Water Week in English, you need to be able to work in English, even if you publish stories in another language.
- Find stories by previous years’ winners in the right-hand column.
- English Language Requirements: Since the official language of World Water Week in English, you need to be able to work in English, even if you publish stories in another language.
How to Apply: Send us your application, by email only, to journalist-grant-at-siwi.org, no later than Monday 30 April 2018. The application must be in English and include the following:
- Attachments containing scans of, or functioning links to three articles/pieces on water or water-related issues, published in the past three years (2015-2018).
- A brief CV
- A motivation letter (why you want to visit and cover World Water Week) of maximum 400 words
- We will notify grant winners in early June 2018.