Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowships
Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is offering Early Career Women Scientists Fellowships to women who have completed their PhDs. The ECWS fellowship is intended for research that will have a demonstrable impact on the local, national or regional community.
The ECWS fellowships programme is administered by OWSD with funds generously provided by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada.
The ECWS fellowship specific objectives are to empower ECWS fellows to lead important research projects with practical applications for low and middle income countries (LMICs), including through strengthening their collaboration with industry.
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is an international non-profit organization based at the offices of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), in Trieste, Italy, a programme unit of UNESCO.
- Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects.
- Study Subject: Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
Biological Systems and Organisms
Computing and Information Technology
Medical and Health Sciences
Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Scholarship Award: The ECWS fellowship is for two years and provides up to USD 50,000 to enable fellows to maintain an international standard of research as well as initiate collaborations and partnerships with industry and the private sector.
- Nationality: Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken at an academic or scientific research institute in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs).
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries(STLCs) for at least 5 years.
|Central African Rep.||Niger|
|Chad||Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip)|
|Ivory Coast||Sao Tome and Principe|
|Dem Rep. Congo||Senegal|
|El Salvador||Solomon Islands|
|Lao People’s Dem Rep.||Vanuatu|
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible to apply for the ECWS fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years.
- At the time of application, applicants must be already employed at the university or research institute where the project will be carried out.
- This university/institute where the project will be carried out must be in one of the listed STLCs.
Please note this list may be subject to slight variation each year according to criteria established by our donor, IDRC, and in agreement with OWSD. Each year the list will be updated when the call for applications is opened.
Eligible academic qualification
PhD in one of the above listed study fields.
- PhD awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The documents listed below may take some weeks to prepare, especially when they require official signatures. We strongly encourage eligible applicants start gathering all requested documentation as soon as possible.
Applicants must submit:
- A scanned copy of the passport page containing personal details (photo, document number etc).
- Passport-size portrait photo
- Proof of residence
- Official documentation that proves residency for at least 5 years in the eligible STLC where the research will be undertaken (e.g. certificate of residency).
- PhD certificate
- A scanned copy of the PhD certificate or proof of PhD issued by the University.
- Proof of employment
- A letter from the employer (dean, vice-dean or equivalent head of the applicant’s institute) on headed paper confirming applicant’s position at the institute and that the applicant will receive a salary for at least two years starting from the year of application.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Complete updated CV.
- Complete list of publications.
- Reference letters
- Applicants must submit two (2) reference letters; at least one must be from a senior scientist familiar with the applicant’s recent research.
- The letters must include contact details for follow up from Selection Committee.
- Supporting statement of head of applicant’s institute
- A supporting statement of the head of the applicant’s institute signed by the dean, vice-dean or equivalent head of institute. The statement template can be downloaded here.
- Additional documentation
- The applicant may wish to provide additional documents which provide evidence of skills, qualities or actions described in the research project (e.g. certificate of awards, memberships etc).
All documents must be uploaded through the online application system which will be activated by 30 June 2018. Do not email any documentation to OWSD.