PhD Scholarship in Computational Linguistics
The University of Groningen is inviting applications for PhD Scholarship in Computational Linguistics, within the Graduate School for the Humanities. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
The Graduate School for the Humanities is the home for all PhD candidates of the Faculty of Arts (circa 200), and is committed to creating and maintaining excellent conditions for PhD research in all fields of the humanities.
The University of Groningen provides top-quality educational programmes. We offer a wide variety of interesting, highly regarded degree programmes that rank well internationally. As our student, you will receive high-quality supervision and have many programmes to choose from. As an exceptionally motivated and talented student, you could join our Honours College for an extra challenge.
- Application Deadline: June 10, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in Computational Linguistics, Graduate School for the Humanities.
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship is paid in monthly installments in accordance with the taxation scheme of a fictitious employment contract. The UG/UMCG withholds income tax and social security contributions. The amount of the scholarship is set so that students receive approximately €1750 net per month. This amount is adjusted annually on the basis of the “CBS consumer price index”. No periodic increases or secondary benefits are applied (as in a normal employment contract), nor will the PhD scholarship students receive pension premiums, an end-of-year bonus, or holiday pay. The scholarship amount will not be adjusted if a student is faced with additional expenses due to personal circumstances such as the care of a partner and/or children.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Your qualifications are:
• A master’s degree in linguistics, computational linguistics, information science, artificial intelligence or computer science with an excellent academic record
• Proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
• Excellent command of English and good academic writing skills.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent command of English and good academic writing skills.
How to Apply: Please send your entire application (in English) as a single PDF-file until the deadline of 10 June 2018, 11:59 pm / before 11 June Dutch local time, by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as “CV”.
The submission should contain the following:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research.
2. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of the data page of your passport.
3. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record.
4. An example of a scientific article written by you, or your MA thesis.
5. Names and contact details of two academic references.
Interviews with selected candidates will take place at the end of June 2018