Mechanical Engineering Internship for South Africans
Application Deadline: 10 May 2018
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
The CSIR has an Internship opportunity for an Intern: Mechanical Engineering in the Aeronautic Systems group within the Defence Peace Safety and Security unit. The purpose of this position is design work in Additive Manufacturing (AM) / 3D printing and thereby providing the incumbent with practical work experience in the AM field. This position is based in Pretoria.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering;
- Must be proficient in the SolidWorks CAD package;
- Hands-on experimental experience will be an advantage;
- Ability to follow instructions and work on fixed timescales;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Be an enthusiastic and a self-motivated individual;
- Take ownership of certain tasks and take initiative in their position;
- Ability to work well under pressure as well as to work as part of a team.
- Willingness to work in a military research environment that serves both local and international clients and stakeholders.
During the internship, the successful candidate will be involved in the mechanical design of wind tunnel models, mechanical testing and the design of polymer articles. The work will include:
- Prediction of failure modes and calculation of stresses;
- Procurement of test articles;
- Work with Polymer additive manufacturing and metal additive manufacturing;
- Acquisition, set-up and testing of polymer article;
- Investigation and application of surface finishing techniques;
- Responsibility to meet project timescales.
South African citizenship and security clearance are required for this position.
For More Information: