UNRISD Internship Program
Application Deadline: 6 May 2018 (23:59 Central European Time),
The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for a three-month internship position, starting in June 2018, to assist with work related to its Social Policy and Development programme. This will include preparing final publications for a research project on the Politics of Domestic Resource Mobilization for Social Development (see www.unrisd.org/pdrm); assistance with organizing the upcoming UNRISD Call for Papers Conference, Overcoming Inequalities in a Fractured World: Between Elite Power and Social Mobilization; and research and outreach activities related to a forthcoming research project on the same subject.
While at UNRISD, the intern will be asked to:
- assist with copyediting and formatting publications, in particular for the PDRM project;
- provide research assistance for ongoing work in the programme, and conduct library and Internet searches, in particular for the Overcoming Inequalities project;
- contribute to ongoing tasks related to project management, fundraising, external relations, and event organization;
- produce a short paper, literature review, article or similar output, on a subject related to the Social Policy and Development programme.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Education in political science, public policy, development studies, development economics, sociology, or a related field at an accredited university, with academic and professional experience in issues related to social policy in developing countries. Candidates with strong expertise in one or several of the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: social policy, elites and inequalities, political economy of resource mobilization, politics of progressive transformative change (related for example to redistributive and social policies, gender, environment, local lifeworlds), and social movements;
- Written and spoken fluency in English;
- Planning and Organizing.
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme.
- At the time of application, applicants must meet one of the following requirements (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns);
(i) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(ii) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or;
(iii) have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (i) and (ii) above) and, if selected, commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
- Interns are not financially remunerated;
- UNRISD is not responsible for interns’ travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
The deadline for applications is 6 May 2018 (23:59 Central European Time), with a start date in June 2018 to be mutually agreed upon. The usual duration of the internship is three months, with the possibility of extension.
For More Information: