TWAS-UPM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
Application Deadline: August 31st 2018
For young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences at the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) in Selangor, Malaysia.
- TWAS-UPM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) for a minimum period of six (6) months to a maximum period of twelve months and are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
- UPM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
- The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from UPM that must be approved by the UPM University’s Committee. Upon receipt of the UPM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will need to contact in due course the UPM School of Graduate Studies to apply for the final offer letter. In case the application for the final offer letter of admission is not approved by UPM, this award will become null and void.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- apply for the fellowship within four (4) years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Malaysia) and hold a research assignment there;
- Provide an official Acceptance letter. The guideline to obtain the Acceptance letter is available at the School of Graduate Studies, UPM website. The URL link to the website is http://www.sgs.upm.edu.my/content/preliminary_acceptance_letter_application_guideline-30899
- Please note that the applicant must have already identified a potential host supervisor/professor in UPM before sending their request for an acceptance letter to the School of Graduate Studies, UPM.
- The acceptance letter must come from the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, UPM only (and NOT from any other Head of Department or supervisors at UPM).
- In contacting the Dean of the UPM School of Graduate Studies, the applicants mustaccompany their request for an acceptance letter with copy of their latest CV, a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 3 pages), a copy of the PhD certificate and the transcripts of each degree qualification starting from the BSc;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- The deadline to apply is 31 August 2018.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter (issued by the Dean of the UPM School of Graduate Studies) to TWAS, when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without the acceptance letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-UPM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal.
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-687
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
For More Information: