2018 MJ Bear Fellowships for Early-Career Digital Journalists
Application Deadline: July 9, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
The MJ Bear Fellowships identify and celebrate digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of new media. Each year, ONA recognizes three fellows— two in the United States or Canada and one international. The fellows are up-and-coming journalists who are just beginning to make their voices heard in the industry and working to expand the boundaries of digital news.
The fellowship is designed for up-and-coming journalists between the ages of 23 and 30 who are just beginning to make their voices heard in the industry and who are working to expand the boundaries of digital news through ongoing creative and innovative projects. Fellows can be working inside or outside the newsroom, and we encourage freelance and independent journalists to apply.
Applicants in 2018 must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
- Born between Sept. 14, 1988 and Sept. 13, 1995
- Be a working digital journalist (either for an organization or self-employed)
- Be fluent in English
- Be involved in a digital journalism project
Full-time students are not eligible.
The fellowship is open to digital journalists from around the world. Each year we select two fellows from the U.S. or Canada and one fellow from another country.
The project is an important part of the application.
- It needs to be something already started — not just an idea or a concept. We need to see something we can review.
- It does not have to be a completed project; indeed, those that focus on breaking news are going to be ongoing. It does need to be a project started on or after Jan. 1, 2017. The reason for the date is that it needs to be current — not something done two years ago as a graduate student thesis.
- The project needs to show spark, creativity and innovation.
Benefits of the fellowship:
- Registration, travel and accommodations for the Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet
- Recognition at the ONA conference, usually through panel participation
- Three online coaching sessions
- ONA membership, with three years dues paid in full
- Fellows announced: mid-August
- ONA Conference: Sept. 13-15, 2018
Any working digital journalist born between Sept. 14, 1988, and Sept. 13, 1995, who is fluent in English is eligible to apply. All application materials and submitted materials must be in English. You can view eligibility criteria on our FAQ page.
To apply, you’ll need to have the following ready:
- Your resumé / CV
- A photo of yourself
- A link to the project that you’d like us to consider that is ongoing or started after Jan. 1, 2017
- A recommendation letter from an employer, instructor or technology partner who is not a personal friend or family member