GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)/DELTAS Africa SSACAB scholarships for Africans
Application Deadline: July 31st 2018
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world with headquarters in London and in collaboration with the DELTAS Africa Sub-Saharan African Consortium for Advanced Biostatistics (SSACAB) programme is offering funding to support
MSc in Biostatistics.
Students in order to build capacity and to train the next generation of biostatisticians. The Sub-Saharan African Consortium for Advanced Biostatistics (SSACAB) training, a consortium of twenty African and northern institutions with the University of the Witwatersrand as the lead; and KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programmes, Universities of KwaZulu-Natal, Northumbria University and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine as co-applicants, has secured funding from the Wellcome Trust/AESA through the Developing Excellence in Leadership, Training and Science (DELTAS Africa).
The full list of participating institutions is listed below. The funding will cover fellows undertaking a MSc programme in Biostatistics in participating training institutions to develop and improve biostatistical skills among researchers, with an ultimate goal of creating research nodes of excellence to grow the discipline and a biostatistical network to nurture researchers with advanced skills and expertise. The GSK and the consortium is therefore calling for full time scholarship applications for MSc degrees.
The GSK MSc scholarships are open to candidates with strong background in Statistics,
Mathematics, Demography and any other quantitative fields, including competent
candidates from the lab/health fields such as biomedical sciences, pharmacy, medicine who may benefit from a postgraduate course in biostatistics. The potential fellows should have applied for a place at one of the postgraduate biostatistics degree programmes being offered by partner institutions.
- The GSK scholarship is open to nationals outside South Africa and in particular targeted towards individuals in Francophone countries interested in getting trained at partner institutions in the consortium.
- Individuals from participating SSACAB countries i.e. (Tanzania, Malawi, Uganda,Kenya, Zambia, Namibia and Ghana), need not apply.
- Applicants should normally be under 35 years for the MSc Programme.
- Applicants should meet each of the separate University’s admission requirements for the MSc degree before applying for the fellowship.
The scheme will provide full scholarships for MSc Fellows in the 2019 academic year and covers the following:
- Tuition fees and basic medical and accident insurance
- A monthly stipend to cover accommodation and living expenses
- Reasonable support for the MSc research project and supervision
- Travel costs to and from academic training institution and the host research institution
How to Apply:
The first step of the application process:
APPLICATIONS FOR PLACES SHOULD BE MADE TO THE PREFERRED HOST TRAINING INSTITUTION. INSTITUTIONS AND THEIR CONTACT PERSONS ARE LISTED BELOW.
A. UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND, JOHANNESBURG:
Prof. Tobias Chirwa:
Contact for MSc enquiries:
Mrs Busi Mamabolo:
APPLICATION FOR THE GSK/DELTAS AFRICA SSACAB SCHOLARSHIP
The application for the GSK/DELTAS Africa SSACAB scholarship
should be made separately and in writing, as outlined in the MSc scholarship section above.
Scholarship applications should be sent to: Dr. Pascalia Munyewende: email@example.com and copied to Dr. Eustasius Musenge: firstname.lastname@example.org