Poynter International Fact-Checking Network Flash Grant in APAC Region
Deadline: August 13, 2018
Applications are open for the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) Flash Grant (APAC). The IFCN/Google News Lab fact-checking bursary provides an immediate injection of funds to a fact-checking project that is set to have a high impact.
*Fact-checking for the scope of this grant is defined as the act of publishing nonpartisan reports on the accuracy of statements by public figures, major institutions, and other widely circulated claims of interest to society. This bursary will be made available in association with four workshops IFCN and Google News Lab are holding in 2018. Each round will be announced in association with the related workshop. The first flash grant was awarded to La Voce in Italy.
What they expect from the winning fact-checking project:
- A two-page narrative report on the indicators and targets (six and twelve months after the grant is assigned).
- Verification as a signatory of the IFCN code of principles by the end of the project.
- Publication of at least 3 fact checks a week for the duration of the project.
Available Grant: US$ 10,000
Funding can be used to cover any operational or project-specific costs. How the money will be spent is far less relevant than what the applicants expect to achieve.
- They are looking for fact-checking projects from the APAC region that expect a high return from this investment.
- The goal is to provide a limited but rapid boost to fact-checkers that have a concrete idea but need limited resources to implement them quickly. Applicants should think of this bursary as seed funding to get started (no additional funding will be made available).
Evaluation will be conducted by IFCN staff according to the following criteria:
- Expected impact of the project (3 points)
- Clarity of the indicators and targets (3 points)
- Track record and existing results of the organization/team (3 points)
- Ambition (1 point)
- Bonus: participation in the relevant IFCN/GNL workshop of July 22 (1 point)
The three projects with the highest score will be invited to a Skype interview.
For more information, visit IFCN Flash Grant.