United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth (UNMGCY) Youth Forum
Application Deadline: November 2nd, 2018 at 12:00 PM GMT.
In the New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants adopted in September 2016, the UN General Assembly decided to develop a Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration (GCM). After months of consultations and negotiations, the international community has developed a final version of the GCM, which is the first-ever UN global agreement on a common approach to international migration in all its dimensions. The GCM is a significant opportunity to improve the governance of migration, to address the challenges associated with today’s migration, and to strengthen the contribution of migrants and migration to sustainable development.
As a result, a Global Migration Week will take place between the 3rd to 12th of December 2018 in Marrakesh, Morocco. It will begin with the multi-stakeholder Global Forum on Migration Development (GFMD), 3rd to 7th of December, followed by the International Conference on Migration (ICM), 10th to 12th of December, during which the Global Compact on Migration (GCM) will be adopted.
Between the two major events (8th to 9th), several ICM side events will be held, one of which will be the Youth Forum (YF), organised by the United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth (UNMGCY). This Forum is aimed at guiding youth engagement in the International Conference on Migration (ICM), in particular regarding the implementation, follow-up and review of the Global Compact on Migration (GCM).
The Youth Forum is supported by the UN Secretary General Special Representative to Migration and Morocco.
The forum will consist of three activities:
- Practical and theoretical introduction ensuring that all participating youth have the needed knowledge about the topic of migration and the GCM so that they can engage meaningfully throughout the ICM.
- Interactive and inspiring workshops where the participants are allocated into smaller groups, offering a safe space to address each one of the four objectives and work streams of the blasts.
- Action plan workshops for the participants to develop and present their individual or organisational activity plans and voluntary commitments for implementing the GCM.
- The only requirement for participants is to be under 30 years old, and to have interest in migration, international affairs, and youth engagement. However, as the Youth Forum has limited capacity, we cannot guarantee a place to all applicants.
- UNMGCY will select participants among the applicants who have signed up through this form by the 1st November 2018. Your participation in the Youth Forum will be confirmed after that date.
The participants will mainly consist of representatives from youth-led and youth-focused organisations and federations, national representatives, and youth registered through this google form. The submissions will be also reviewed to identify potential speakers for the event. Each participant has equal access to participation in all parts of the Global Youth Consultation and their contribution to the consultations have equal weight on the event’s outcome.
For More Information: