Thomson Reuters Foundation Reporting on Illicit Finance in Africa workshop for Journalists Fully Funded
Thomson Reuters Foundation in partnership with the Media Development Centre is looking for Arabic-speaking journalists based in Africa who are motivated to understand how their country could be losing money via illicit means.
Application Deadline: January 6th 2019
Dates: Monday, 18 February – Friday, 22 February 2019 | Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Wealth of Nations is a long-term engagement, and journalists who take part must commit to all elements of the scheme, signing an agreement to this effect. These elements include:
- The production of stories or investigations on illicit financial flows
- A mentoring support scheme that will help produce these stories
- Intensive training on reporting illicit finance
- The first workshop will take place from Monday, 18 February – Friday, 22 February 2019 at the Media Development Centre in Tunis
- Selected participants will be invited to a follow-up workshop from Thursday, 04 April – Saturday, 06 April 2019
- Journalists with at least two years of professional experience.
- It is an advantage if you are familiar with investigative journalism, reporting on finances and/or dealing with numbers more generally. But if you have a strong motivation to learn about and understand these issues then we will consider your application.
- You must be able to spend significant time working on illicit finance stories or investigations.
- Both freelancers and staff journalists may apply. Journalists working for a news organisation will need consent from their editor to take part. Freelancers should provide evidence that one or more media organisations will be willing to take their work.
- Journalists working in any medium or multiple media are welcome to apply (print, online, radio or television).
- The Journalists should be based in Africa and working for one or more African media organisations.
- Journalists applying must have fluent Arabic.
- Two work samples
- A letter from your editor consenting to your participation
Please have these ready before you begin the form.
For More Information: