LLM Scholarships for East African Lawyers
The TGCL offers a structured LLM study programme at the School of Law, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and trains aspiring young East African lawyers, qualifying them for leading positions in the region and beyond.
The Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) is a cooperation project of the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and the University of Bayreuth, Germany.
It is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
The TGCL will award scholarships to applicants from EAC Partner States only which will cover:
- the university fees and TGCL fees for the LLM programme;
- a reasonable health insurance; and
- a cost of living stipend of 3,360 EUR for one year
Content of the Programme
- The candidates will pursue an LLM programme on East African Community Law and Regional Integration Law.
- The programme takes one year of full-time attendance.
- On successful completion of the programme, a student will obtain a Master of Laws degree from the University of Dar es Salaam and an additional TGCL Certificate.
Research Agenda of the TGCL
- There is a significant research component to the LLM programme in the form of a dissertation.
All LLM dissertations must focus on East African Community law (EAC law), if possible, in relation to the student’s national law.
Selection Criteria and Interview
- An independent panel of experts will review all applications thoroughly.
- The final selection of candidates will be made only on merit.
- The TGCL will invite for interview only those candidates it has shortlisted.
- Consequently, we advise all applicants to indicate their up-to-date contact details.
- In case of change of contact details (email or mobile number), kindly notify the TGCL office.
- Mode of Application
The applicant must register online through the TGCL website and submit the following documents electronically:
- a signed curriculum vitae with clear evidence of periods of legal and other relevant education, training and practical experience. It is compulsory to use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
- a one-page letter of motivation
- certified photocopies of all relevant certificates (birth certificate, school leaving certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education, including provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not written in English, an official translation should be attached
- a recent passport picture
- a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
- a proposal of the intended research (1,500 words) – see annexed guidelines.
- It is important to include your name on the proposal.
How to Apply
- The deadline for applications is Monday, 15 January 2019.
- Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
- Dr Benedict T. Mapunda
- The Coordinator, TGCL
- University of Dar es Salaam School of Law
- phone: +255 22 278 1422; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal Address:
- P.O. Box 35093, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Physical Address:Mikocheni Campus (former NIC College/Bima Campus –opposite Mikocheni B Police Post)
- Royal Mushi Street No. 13
- Mikocheni B, Dar es Salaam
- For more information and job application details, see; LLM Scholarships for East African Lawyers