World Habitat Awards for Innovative Solutions on Housing Challenges (£10,000 Prize)
The World Habitat Awards were established in 1985 for the identification and the promotion of good habitat practices. They were initiated in 1987 as World Habitat contribution to the United Nations International Year of Shelter for the Homeless.
Application Deadline: 23:59 GMT on 31st March 2019
The World Habitat Awards want to hear about projects from around the world that:
- Focus on affordable and adequate housing.
- Are in progress or have been completed in the last ten years.
- Have been designed and/ or delivered in close collaboration with the residents/ local community.
Entries to the 2019 competition can be made from 1 January 2019.
Housing projects and approaches are sought that
- demonstrate practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues faced by countries all around the world
- can be transferred or adapted for use as appropriate
- are already being implemented or are completed ie not at design stage or very early stages of development
- view the term habitat from a broad perspective and bring other benefits as well, such as energy or water saving, income generation, social inclusion, community and individual empowerment, health benefits, capacity building or education.
Assessing of all entries and up to 12 projects are shortlist by an assessment committee. These shortlisted projects are then evaluated by an independent advisory group.
- Any individual, organisation or government who has an innovative and practical solution to housing needs and problems from any country of the world.
- More than one entry can be made by the same individual or organisation.
- Entries should relate to housing projects and processes that are either completed or in progress. Those that are at design stage only or in the very early stages of development cannot be considered.
- Previous entrants can re-submit in subsequent years providing that the project has been further developed in the intervening time period.
Each competition, two winning projects receive:
- A trophy (presented at a global event) in recognition of their work to develop and deliver good practice in housing. World Habitat meets travel and accommodation costs for a project representative to attend the awards ceremony.
- A prize of £10,000
- Bespoke follow-on support from World Habitat through our transfer programme
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the World Habitat Awards 2019