2019-2020 Brooks World Poverty Institute Scholarships
BWPI PhD Scholarships – Open to students of all nationalities. The Brooks World Poverty Institute PhD Scholarship in Poverty & the Environment – Priority for this scholarship will be given to students from non-OECD countries to conduct research on poverty and the environment.
Ideally, research topics should relate to the BWPI’s evolving research plan.
The topics on the list below provide an illustration of areas of work that are of interest to BWPI but potential candidates with other poverty related topics should apply:
- Measuring poverty from income and human development perspectives.
- Applying different concepts of poverty – what does this tell us?
- The roles of the state and market in poverty reduction.
- Why do some poor people stay poor while others escape poverty?
- Who benefits and who does not from social protection? Why is this the pattern?
- The theory and practice of empowering poor people.
- Is economic growth pro-poorest?
The successful candidates will be full-time PhD students registered at the BWPI and will receive research training through attendance of appropriate programmes at either the School of Environment & Development (see www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate) or the School of Social Sciences depending upon topic selection (see www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate).
For further information and full details on how to apply please visit: Brooks World Poverty Institute Scholarships