Fully Funded to Study in China: Chinese Government Scholarships 2019/2020 for South Africans
The Chinese Government is offering scholarships for South African students to study at Chinese institutions starting in the 2019/20 academic year. The Department of Higher Education and Training is responsible for nominations
Application Deadline: March 15th 2019
The scholarship offers for undergraduate (Bachelors) in the identified scarce skills, postgraduate (Masters or PhD) or non-degree Chinese language studies.
Criteria and Eligibility
– South African citizens in good health (medical check will be required for successful applicants);;
– Strong academic record with a minimum 65% average in previous studies;
– Availability to study in China from September 2019;
– Demonstrated interest in China and commitment to the development of South Africa;
– Applications in all fields of study except medicine will be considered;
– Preference will be given to postgraduate applicants, previously disadvantaged applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum academic requirements for entry into a similar programme at a
South African university.
– Bachelor’s applicants must have HSK 5 certificate and be willing to study in Chinese.
The South African Government provides the following (subject to the availability of funds):
Compulsory orientation programme from 13-16 August 2018.
Successful scholarship applicants are to sign a contract and return to South Africa upon
completion of studies
How to apply
Complete the DHET application form and email it with all supporting documents to
Internationalscholarships@dhet.gov.za by 15 March 2019.
Applicants MUST apply to a Chinese university and submit proof of application or acceptance letter with
All PhD applicants must identify and make contact with a supervisor at their university of choice and submit proof of this engagement with application form.
Documents and links
For More Information: