Fully Funded to Berlin: Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Program 2019
Reporters Without Borders Germany invites journalists from war zones and crisis areas to come to Berlin for four months. During this time they can enjoy a break and complete a comprehensive training program in digital security issues relevant to their work.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 19th 2019 at 23:59 (Central European Time).
The aim of the scholarship is to provide scholarship holders with practical knowledge on how to protect themselves against digital threats such as surveillance or hacker attacks in their journalistic work.
Professional journalists, bloggers and citizen journalists who
- are exposed to digital threats due to their work in their home regions,
- want to learn and work extensively with digital security in order to improve their personal security
- are interested in passing on the knowledge acquired during the scholarship program to colleagues in their home regions and, ideally, already have some experience in teaching (including in other areas).
Applicants must have a very strong command of the English language
A high level of proficiency in regards to digital security is not necessary. Anyone who is used to working with a computer can apply.
Reporters without Borders will cover the travel costs, take care of all visa-related matters, provide a pleasant apartment in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship, a monthly stipend of € 1000, free use of public transportation in Berlin, and also organize participation in a varied scholarship program taught by experts in the field of digital security.
- Threat Model for Journalists: How do I identify my risks?
- Legal Standards: What rights do journalists have against government surveillance?
- Technical Background: How does the internet technically work (including IP, DNS and email communication)?
- Encryption: How can you secure your communications (email, calls, messaging, etc.) against surveillance?
- Anonymization: How can you hide yourself online?
- Security on Social Media: How do you secure your accounts and what helps against trolling?
- Commercial Surveillance: What do companies want to know about their clients and how can you protect yourself against it?
How to Apply
Please send a completed and signed application form, the completed questionnaire, your CV and your identity documents in separate PDF documents as attachments (in total 4 PDF’s) either via: Signal-Messenger to +49163 6182705 or if you have an Protonmail-Account to firstname.lastname@example.org or if you know how to use PGP by encrypted email to email@example.com (GnuPG/GPG-Key).
The application form and the questionnaire are fillable PDF’s. So please fill out the files on your computer and send them to us like that, so that we are able to read your whole text:
1. safe the files
2. fill out the files on your computer
3. save the filled out files again
4. send the documents to us
For More Information: