Fully Funded OWSD PhD Fellowships 2019 for Women Scientists from Technology lagging Countries
The OWSD PhD Fellowship programme is administered with funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and is offered in partnership with host institutes throughout the developing world.
Application Deadline: 30 May 2019.
The specific aims of the fellowship programme are:
- To improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates from STLCs.
- To increase the scientific productivity and creativity of women scientists in STLCs.
- Empower a new generation of talented women to assume a leadership role in science and technology.
- To encourage women scientists to contribute to the sustainable development of their home countries.
- To enable women scientist from the South to collaborate and network on a regional and international level.
1. Candidates must confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after completion of the fellowship.
2. Eligible academic qualification
The minimum qualification is an MSc degree
3. Eligible host institutes
- Host institutes must be located in a developing country in the South (not the candidate’s home country).
- A list of recommended institutes is available here.
- Other institutes, not included in the link above, will also be considered if they demonstrate appropriate resources and expertise.
- Candidates should identify a host institute outside their home country. They can identify a further two host institutes if desired.
- Candidates who are already on site in the host country will not usually be considered eligible.
The OWSD fellowship covers:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses
- Annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute
The OWSD fellowship does not cover:
- Bench fees and consumables
- Support for language training, either before or during the fellowship programme
- Support for shipment of research samples
- Costs for personal computer or software purchase
- Support for family members
- Additional return tickets to the home country for personal reasons
For More Information: