Women in Science (WiSci) Girls STEAM Camp for African High School Girls
Application Deadline: April 14, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET
The Women in Science (WiSci, for short!) Girls’ STEAM Camps are a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for high school girls from around the world to dive into the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Design, Mathematics) subjects alongside their peers and develop their leadership skills, in a unique cross-cultural environment, with all expenses paid.
Since 2015, WiSci Camps have been made possible thanks to private-public partnerships amongst the U.S. Department of State, Girl Up, Intel, Google, and many other incredible partners who want to close the gender gap in STEAM through access to education, mentorship opportunities, and leadership training.
WiSci Camps are a safe, supportive, and girl-centered environment, bringing together 100 teen girls from three or more countries, to live and learn for two weeks together, Girls are the heart of the WiSci program. WiSci facilitators teach girls to value taking risks, to bounce back after failing, and to build the reliance to keep trying again.
● A self-identified girl between the ages of 15 to 18 during the time of camp with at least one year of secondary school classes still left to complete.
● A citizen or resident of Ethiopia
● If selected, be able to obtain written permission from a parent or guardian.
● Possess fluency in English.
● Obtain regular access (at least once per week) to the internet.
● Able to attend the full duration of camp and have permission from your school if the dates conflict with classes.
● Have never participated in the WiSci Girls STEAM Camp before and have not had a sibling participant or counselor in the WiSci Girls STEAM Camp before.
● Have an interest in the STEAM fields and demonstrated leadership potential.
● Able to obtain a passport by May 2019 to travel outside of the United States, or have a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond June 2019 (not applicable for Ethiopian applicants).
- Participate in hands-on trainings to develop STEAM and leadership skills: from coding, to creating a microscope with cell phones, to programming drones and artificial intelligence, WiSci campers connect STEAM with creating social impact in their communities;
- Connect into a wide global network, both at camp and after, full of over 500 girls and young women from over 35 U.S. states and over 20 countries;
- Experience on-site mentorship from industry experts and build new friendships with global peers; and
WiSci is a proven program for developing girl leaders interested in STEAM.
The WiSci Girls STEAM Camp will be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on July 3-16, 2019 for girls from the United States and Ethiopia. The camp will be hosted the International Community School of Ethiopia. Camp participants will have secure, supervised accommodations, participate in daily STEAM activities in classrooms and attend chaperoned off-site excursions.
For More Information: